Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Christina and Amina

by Gumi Malhotra

One of the happiest times on the tea plantation was the time spent gardening.

I always thought I got that from following my mother around while she planned and potted her garden but recently she told me that it was Christina who would take me around each plant and point out the new shoots and buds and tell me their names.

Christina was the lady who looked after me till I was five years old. I still remember her voice and the feel of her white saree. I remember hiding in the pleats because I’m told I was a shy child! She and I would have make-believe picnic parties, she indulged my imagination and I am so grateful to her for that and for igniting my love for plants. I wish she was around today so I could tell her in person - but when you can’t do anything in reality, you write about it.

These ladies were called ‘ayahs’ in tea and I believe the origin of this word means ‘maid servant’ in Portuguese, the most inept and inaccurate description ever! These were ladies of stature, who despite their loving ways with children occasionally displayed shades of Mrs Danvers to keep young mothers in check! When Imaan came as a baby to Nahortoli TE, the formidable Amina helped me look after him.

She would come in at eight in the morning and take over her Baba, giving him to me or Sukhi most reluctantly. Once after we'd had a few harrowing sleepless nights with Imaan, she came in at five am.

After the Baba went to sleep ( within five minutes! ) I asked her why she came to work early. She said the chowkidaar came banging at her door earlier saying, ‘ Jaldi aao, Baba aur memsahib dono jor jor se rota hai’!! ( Be quick, both Baba and memsahib are weeping loudly! )

We got in touch with Amina last month and we chatted about the boys and those early years gone by...it felt good reconnecting with her, like filling in a blank space we very often forget about.
                        
Meet the writer: Gumi Malhotra

Gumi Malhotra
Hello chai people, here’s another attempt to pen down one of the million memories I carry with me. We came away twelve years ago with our hearts full ( not so much the pocket) of such nuggets. We live in Bangalore now and what started as a hobby in the gardens has become my calling. I paint pet portraits. The happiest days spent in tea were in the Jali kamra with my paints, the boys occupied with make believe cars and a steady stream of tea flowing from the kitchen. Cheers!

Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories! 
 
Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com. My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always), maybe a tall tale, long, or short, impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull. You will find yourself transported to another world! 

 
Happy reading! Cheers to the spirit of Indian Tea!
ADD THIS LINK TO YOUR FAVOURITES : https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/Indian Chai Stories

2 comments:

  1. Yes, these dedicated workers do deserve to be remembered and recognised for their years served with love and affection.
    Sadly, that breed no longer exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the ''baba loge'' were all bought up by the tea estate ayah's, as if they were caring for their own child. A wonderful lot indeed.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!