Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Dreams Do Come True

by Radhika Tandon 

Misa Polo Club, pix from https://amalgamatedplantations.co.in/misa-polo-club/
Dreams do come true. Growing up with Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew & Mills & Boon, I dreamt of a small house with picket fences & a red slanting roof. Cut to 1984, my first home after marriage - Sagmootea T.E. Incidentally my parents pronounced it as Sagmotee T.E for the longest time.

A house, not small ( I could live with that ), the roof wasn't red ( I could live with that too ), on the whole very very acceptable. Who am I kidding, I gawked !! A huge Chang Bangla with wooden floors that creaked & let in the cold from every crevice, housing the biggest crickets & cockroaches that I had ever seen. I loved the bungalow, the rest I learnt to live with.

What begins well ends well. We were hosted by the wonderful Wanda & Deepak Erasmus. Wanda made my transition from Bombay to Assam seamlessly easy. I must admit that Rachel & Ashley ( the cutest kids ) had a big hand in it too. I was a natural fit.

Travelling on a dirt track to Misa Club and invariably running into wild elephants on the way back ! No big deal. Banded kraits in the roof, so what ? All paled against the Mali Bari with the sweetest pineapples I had ever eaten. The trees laden with guavas & a lawn full of flowers. Bliss.

Those first few years were an education by itself. I tried to learn tennis & failed. I was not the sporty kind. I learnt to read the newspaper one day late as that's when we got them. Learnt that when someone drops in for lunch on a Sunday, it's served past tea time & dinner naturally follows. Learnt that it's normal to travel 2/3/4 hours away to visit or attend a party & drive back home after. Learnt that newly married brides were not to be trusted with club catering , even if they were Hotel Management graduates & knew how to cook. I had to earn my badges.

All in all, loved every minute of it.

Meet the writer:

Radhika Tandon
Says Radhika, "I am one of those city girls who took to tea life like a fish takes to water. From concrete jungle to vast verdant greenery, who wouldn’t ? Been a tea wife for all my married life. Posted mostly in Assam with a very short stint in the Dooars. We moved to Bangalore on transfer in 2005 & have been here since then." 

Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories! 
ADD THIS LINK TO YOUR FAVOURITES : https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/Indian Chai Stories
There are over a hundred stories here, and they are all from the tea gardens! Our storytellers are tea planters and their memsaabs, baby and baba log. Each of our contributors has a really good story to tell - don't lose any time before you start reading them! 

Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com. My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always), maybe a tall tale, long, or short, impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull.
Happy reading! Cheers to the spirit of Indian Tea!

 

4 comments:

  1. Very beautifully and experiencive explained....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felt like my own experiences. SO relatable. Beautifully expressed by Radhika.Cheers Chai stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tongue in cheek humour! Kraits, crickets, cockroaches and pachyderms notwithstanding, did your bungalow not boast a resident tokay??
    Enid Blyton homesteads for sure, but for the tropical fauna.
    Short, sweet, crisp and replete with contentment!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!