Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Monday, June 4, 2018

The Power-full Problem


by Jaya Dutta
I had just got married, and as a new bride away from the hustle bustle of town life, was quite enjoying the 'memsaab' status that had been bestowed on me. One day, late in the evening, our bungalow chowkidar ‘Shikaari’ ( yes ,that was his name and true to his name he did have the looks of a hunter) told me that 'Bara Babu' was at the gate wanting to speak with Saab who was not home. As soon as I heard ‘URGENT’, I thought I should take the message for Saab so I offered to talk to Bara Babu in person to find out what the matter was.
Soon a frail looking elderly man walked up to me and on my asking what the matter was said it was very urgent and Saab had to be informed. Inquisitive as I was, I asked him what was the matter this is how our conversation went:-
Me: Bara Babu ki holo ? ( What happened ?)
Bara Babu: Kaal  theke 'Bawa' chole geche! ( Since yesterday 'Baba' has gone)
By this time I was feeling very sorry for this old gentleman whose Baba (father) had gone missing.
Me: Kotha theke geche ? ( From where did he go?)
Bara Babu: From Alipurduar.
I was more worried now, and I started thinking of ways and means by which I could help this poor old man.
Me: Has it happened before?
Bara Babu : Ha 'Bawa' ageo geche ( yes Baba has gone earlier as well )
At this point I am frustrated - why would an old man be allowed to wander away like this again and again?!  And as it was already night time it worried me more. 
Me : Saab is not at home, but as soon as he comes I will let him know about this and I am sure he will help you get 'Bawa' back.
Bara Babu : Dhonyobaad (Thank you!)

And then he left , and I kept waiting anxiously for the Saab to return .  The clock ticked away and finally at around 11 p.m. the Saab arrived. He had had a busy day I could tell, so I didn’t want to bombard him with another problem.
I waited for him to have a glass of water and then I decided to tell him that Bara Babu's 'Dad' was missing.
I just told him , ‘Today Bara Babu was here’, but before I could tell him the whole story he said, ‘I know, Shikari has told me all about it.’
I asked immediately, ‘So now what are you going to do?’ and  to my surprise he said,  ‘Nothing!  It’s late night – I’ll take care of it in the morning.’
At that point I was disappointed at the Saab's reaction to this highly sensitive, time bound issue that I thought needed to be attended to immediately. Anyway, somehow the night went by and I was feeling helpless at not being able to help this old man.  
As was the routine, Saab left early in the morning for his daily 'Kaamjari'. That day more than any other, I waited eagerly for him to come for breakfast so I could get an update on how he had taken care of the missing dad issue.
As usual that day too Saab was late for his breakfast, but I did not mind at all as I had all positive thoughts of how he was busy helping Bara Babu find his lost 'Baba'.
As soon as I heard the car honk at the gate I ran to the door.
Even before Saab could come inside I asked him, 'Did Bara  Babu find his 'Baba'?'
Saab looked at me puzzled 'What Baba?'
I told him, 'Bara Babu was here last evening because his 'Baba' had gone away.’
On hearing this Saab could not hold his laughter and he was rolling on the floor. As for me, I could not understand what was wrong and how was a missing elderly person issue such a joke.
I asked what happened, ‘Why do you laugh, this is a serious issue.’
The Saab, after controlling his laughter, said, ‘Bara Babu had come last night to say the ‘Power' had gone since morning.’
It was then that I realised that poor Bara Babu had put on such an accent on the word 'Power' (after all he wanted to impress the young memsaab) that it sounded like 'Bawa' and I thought he had said 'Baba'.
Then it all made complete sense because the electricity from Alipurduar grid used to trip often and the Saabs were accustomed to this. I felt relieved but to date this incident brings a smile to my face.
The river Dima in Alipurduar District

Editor’s note:
Bara Babu - Head clerk
Kaamjari – daily work schedule in a tea garden

6 comments:

  1. Haha! Not all of us learnt to keep our distance from garden issues in this relatively easy way, Jaya! More Baba to your elbow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burra Babu's were a breed apart!When Jyoti had a slipped disk,my Burra Babu next morning enquired solitiously "Sir, how is Madam's backside today?" !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One sent a letter to the manager requesting to fence the kitchen garden maintained by his wife in thier quarters back yard. The wordings went something like this. Please fence my wife's backside as wild boars are damaging it on the night.

      Delete
  3. I'm full of praise for my the then Burra Babu (Head Clerk) as he was nick named 'Moving Encyclopedia'by my predecessors. His stock of informations from planting, spacing, 'jat' & name of the Manager who planted tea sections were immense.
    Being a Brahmin he was well versed with Sanskrit Slokas & applied wherever possible in any conversations.
    His influences in the Govt offices were even worth mentioning as he could organise Income Tax rebate for the Saabs or a Driving Licence renewal even arranging a Gun Licence those days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the Burra Babus were indeed a breed apart as Krupa commented. I fondly remember the head clerk in Ghatia – a very efficient man of six feet height and girth as wide. It was after 4 PM on this pay day when he was anxiously waiting for the acting manager who had still not turned up from Jalpaiguri with the pay-roll. Workers had already begun to assemble when an agitated Burra Babu standing in the office veranda was clearly heard exclaiming loudly to all within earshot “Shey Ki (closest translation What’s this?) Manager bolted?”

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so delightful ! Could not help laughing with the Saab! What a sweetly reported conversation Jaya - completely felt your anguish !
    A perfect accompaniment to this afternoon’s cuppa

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!