Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

The Tale of a Wedding Less Ordinary

by Mrinalini Rautela Pahwa
I was born and brought up in tea and then married a planter, so I have a tea trolley laden with tales -- poignant, funny, ludicrous,  and to the uninitiated, possibly a figment of an overwrought imagination! And while I am waiting for the others to emerge from the cobwebby corners that life in a fast paced metropolis has thrust them into, here I am, testing the waters with my first offering-- the story of my wedding to the hapless Atul Pahwa, Esq!

Post him nearly getting sacked within days of his transfer to Dejoo, where my father was the Manager, not for any mess up on his part but because his dog took it upon himself to rid the garden of a wild cat that my mother had adopted (a tale that shall be aired in due course )  I arrived back home on my summer break from college and hit him - the master and not the dog - on the head with a squash racquet! In my defence, we were playing a friendly game of squash. However, I had a wild left handed swing which often confused my right handed opponents and I connected with the husband to be’s head rather than the squash ball! 
                                             
A solitary one of Atul and self dancing
AP insists that it was suddenly all very hazy and when the haze cleared, he found the saat pheras to be over and a delighted newly minted father in law/manager shaking his hand vigorously and thanking him for taking his older daughter off his hands! This is Atul’s story. The one I stick to is that Cupid quite literally struck him!

To backtrack a bit, when Atul and I decided that we would like to get married, I told him that he needed to ask for my hand formally in marriage. This entailed speaking to his trigger happy boss -- not something any young Factory assistant with the instinct for survival would be eager to do, unless he was feeling particularly suicidal! 

With Atul being a non- starter, I attempted to broach the subject with my father while he read the papers in the evening. The only question I was asked was whether the young man I had in mind was a good sportsman! No name asked. None given! It turned out that my wily father had been kept updated on the blossoming romance by the chowkidars who would carry Atul and my notes to each other.

Then came the matter of informing Atul’s parents and fixing the date. In true tea garden style, the date was fixed for 10th March as it was a Saturday. According to my father, the guests could get ‘wasted’, have Sunday to recover and get back to work on Monday! The venue was the Burra Bungalow of Dejoo Tea Estate.
And this is when things began to get exciting.

Atul pushed off to Delhi to fetch his parents and relatives. He reached Delhi all right but the wedding party missed the return train to Gauhati. I might mention here that his father was a Railways man and had retired as Advisor Railway Board! Gauhati to Dejoo was a nine hour bumpy drive and my parents had sent band, bajaa and malaas to the Gauhati station to welcome the baraatis, who were still trying to find their way to a remote corner of Assam in the days where the garden did not even have a landline through which they could inform my now palpitating parents of their progress- or lack of it.

Meanwhile, my mother, in her enthusiasm, had got the floors and steps of the bungalow polished to such gleaming perfection that while leaning over to admire her reflection on the floorboards, she tumbled down the staircase and fractured her right hand. All the wedding photographs have her looking rather dramatic in a resplendent lehenga and sparkling tassels wrapped decoratively around her plaster encased hand!
Mum with her hand in a plaster
The year was 1990. It was the height of the ULFA agitation and many had told dad that it was foolhardy of him to get his daughter married in an increasingly unsafe environment. But Assam, to my parents, was home and their daughter was going to be married from home. QED.

Turns out it wasn’t quite so simple. On the night prior to the wedding, members of the organisation swept in and very politely took away a revolver that was licensed in my mother’s name. They then proceeded to take a Gypsy from another planter and use my mother’s revolver to shoot a third person in that vehicle! The next day, the cops turned up to arrest my mother and dad had to send off for anticipatory bail. This is right when the bedraggled wedding party arrived, all shaken and stirred. Looking at the scene that met them, instead of the traditional aarti, I wouldn’t blame them for wondering about the antecedents of the family their prospective daughter in law belonged to! But they were there and fleeing was next to impossible so they took a deep breath, sent up a silent prayer, squared their shoulders and got down to the business of getting us married.
The band
The pundit was from the army and addressed one and all, regardless of gender as Sir. The army band struck up a rousing tune and after the pheras, the festivities were uncorked along with the champagne. There is not a single photograph of Atul and me together but there are several of me with many planters- all in an increasing state of inebriation (the planters, that is!) and of Atul with lipstick marks covering his face, surrounded by the ladies! By the time my mother got around to trying to find the official photographer to take photographs of us, he had got sloshed and fallen into the cattle trap, from where he spent the rest of the evening contentedly photographing the legs of guests who passed by. The bar was the summer hut next to which the Ranga Nadi flowed and several planters who were deep in their cups, found themselves taking the wrong turn and having to be fished out by the gleeful maalis whom my father, with long years of experience, had positioned just for this eventuality.

In the wee hours of the morning, people reluctantly started wending their way home, promising to return for my Bidaai, the next day. I still remember that just as the car brought me from the Burra Bungalow to Atul’s bungalow and parked in the porch, the heavens opened up to a massive downpour. My mother in law was delighted- it was auspicious, she said. It certainly wasn’t auspicious for all the guests, who in their finery had got into a boat to cross over to the neighbouring Koilamari Tea Estate and got the drenching of their lives midstream!

The Bidaai, of course, was a thinly disguised excuse for the beer and bridge party that was going to take place while the DC signed off on our marriage certificate. Incidentally, I have no photographs of the bidaai either as the drunk as a skunk photographer was too busy nursing a hangover to show up. However, all these aforementioned sodden guests ensured they turned up, sniffles notwithstanding!

And thus, in the midst of friends, family, love and laughter, set against the backdrop of a political agitation that would change the face of the state I knew as home and draw the curtains on a way of life that is in the blood of anyone who has been a part of the plantations, and cannot be understood by anyone who has not, I got married.

The fact that we had to face a 73 hour Bodo bandh, drive through Bodo territory with all my jewellery in the dead of the night to board a train back to Delhi from Bongaigaon, only to have it derail with us on board, is a story for another time.
    The bungalow, 15 years later, when we took our daughter back to visit from Delhi

Editor’s Note:
saat pheras – the most important ritual in a Hindu marriage ceremony
baraatis – the bridegroom’s party
band, bajaa and malaas – a fitting reception committee for the groom’s party
bidaai –  when the bride leaves her parents' home after the wedding

Meet the writer: 
Mrinalini Rautela Pahwa
Mrinalini Rautela Pahwa lives in Gurugram, Haryana with her husband, a dog and a daughter ...not necessarily in that order. She would like to believe that she is a teacher- a stolidly respectable pillar of society. However, there are many, who shall not be named, for fear of arousing homicidal tendencies in her-- who have been known to whisper otherwise. For now, let this suffice. The rest is silence.
Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories! 
ADD THIS LINK TO YOUR FAVOURITES : https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/Indian Chai Stories
There are over a hundred stories here, and they are all from the tea gardens! Our storytellers are tea planters and their memsaabs, baby and baba log. Each of our contributors has a really good story to tell - don't lose any time before you start reading them! 

Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com. My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always), maybe a tall tale, maybe long - or short, maybe impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull.
Happy reading! Cheers to the spirit of Indian Tea!
 

29 comments:

  1. Riot...a beautiful riot..You write so well Ms Mrinalini. Heres to many more. Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious and engaging, Mrinalini. Looking forward to the next nugget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so amazing ! Loved every line!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I wasn't there but could picture it all !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very engaging ...enjoyed every bit of yr memoir....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a witty read. Makes me wonder how easy it is to take life with a smiling face in a light hearted manner and move on to build such happy stories out of those difficult situations and have a good laugh at them later but how We complicate them ourselves most of the times and how we should not!
    The lady in the chai story getting married is still, as beautiful as she was then! From being the vice principal of MCGS, Ajmer, clad in a chiffon saree ,walking in high heels through the corridors of the school with all of the girls looking upto her trying to become even a miniscule of the enchanting n poised beauty that she was to being this brave bride-to-be in her youth! I feel so delighted n proud.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing hilarious turn of events! Waiting for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So evocative ! Yes I believe every word.You must be a very happy person able to relish the humour in even the
    most trying circumstances. spreadong a lot of sunshine around.Fabulous memories.thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful read. Waiting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hilarious! Made my morning. You have such a funny bone. I’d love to meet you some day to share a hearty laugh.Obviously you bubble over with the right ingredients of LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what an engrossing story , kept me captivated all through the reading as if i wasn't reading but watching all the incidents. waiting to hear from you more Mrinalini.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting and humorous account. Awaiting the 'Chai Story' to be continued 😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  13. A hilarious and interesting story! Waiting for more Mrinalini!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lively story...bubbling over with fun and romance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ritu did tell us quite a lot of it back in school. All of the boarders without the bagania background did not believe one word of what she had said though 😁

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking forward to many more anecdotes, wonderful story teller! Have been waiting

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darling Mrinal
    You'll shake the literary scene with rumblings of minor earthquakes...such is your power to tickle the funnybone!
    To let such talent hide is a sin...write my little sister...and the world will be a better place for it.
    Since I missed your wedding, I am finally feeling included.
    Chill the Champaign. .. we need to celebrate with Atul!
    Shobha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mrilalini,known your grand parents from Mhow 1957+8 or so. Just met Brijraj mamosa and Frances last night. Thoroughly enjoyed reading
    about your very eventful and adventurous wedding. Continue writing. Vandana aunty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very well written Mirnal bh. I felt it thru &thru and above every thing I liked the spirit with which you turned every mis happening into a hilarious one.
    God bless. Keep writing. ..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great story which could take place only in Tea!! Such events are fairy tales for today's generation👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an entertaining story.
    You write so well, and create such witty images of the day, when it was one dramatic incident after another, not in the least funny, then
    Looking forward to another one from you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love it! - Simran Sandhu

    ReplyDelete
  23. For a planter past or present It is true descrpion of Tea life but a no planter will find it difficult to believe.Very well written

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoyed your story. I my self grew up in the tea gardens in the 60 and 70. My father was a tea planter, I have always said planters are a special breed of people
    Lorna Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  25. How delightful ! So many readers before me have said everything I wanted to say . So, I will just thank Gowri for adding this to Chai for Cancer’s Tea Trolley . I’m sure there’s going to be a barrage of fresh comments from more readers

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!