Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Sunday, November 10, 2019

Burra Memsahibs

  'Never form your opinion on hearsay, be polite to everyone and keep your circle small.'
by Gumi Malhotra
During my fifteen years in tea, I was ‘under the wing’, so to say, of four Burra Memsahibs.

I came to Kakajan Tea Estate as a diffident newbie and met the Manager’s wife, Mrs Hanwant Singh. Tall and stately, she had an air of authority about her, and I noticed everyone straighten up when she walked in. Her daughter Ritu and I hit it off and shared many gups and giggles and I’d go to the Burra bungalow more to meet Ritu than her mother.

Mrs Singh treated me with the affection and indulgence due to an ignoramus. There are many little incidents I remember of those three months in Kakajan...hand written notes asking the ladies over for coffee, conversations on running a house and gardening, cooking lesson in her kitchen where the famed cook Surjit taught us his light as air chocolate soufflé. She told me once in a mild matter of fact way, 'Never form your opinion on hearsay, be polite to everyone and keep your circle small.'

She epitomizes the spirit of the tea ladies who were “Burra” not only owing to their husband’s position, but in stature and spirit.

In Nahortoli, I remember Afruza Chaudhury being fiercely protective of Imaan, who I brought to the garden as a one month oId baby. I told her once that he broke the only bottle of perfume I possessed and she looked alarmed and said, “ Oh God, I hope he didn’t hurt himself”!!

Later in Damdim, Mrs Meera Pandya, spoiling the boys with her motherly charm.

Roma Singh was by far the most chilled out Bara Mem ever! Always encouraging, never a negative word for anyone. We’d walk in for a chat or a swim anytime and were always welcomed with her signature laugh and a laden tea trolley!

Once after a very late night, about ten of us landed up at the Bara Bungalow at 2 am and asked the chowkidar to wake up the Manager Kuljit Singh, demanding coffee, an unheard impudence in tea! Not only were we not thrown out, we were plied with drinks, coffee and warm lemon tarts!

By the time I found myself living in the Bara kothi, I was a pale imitation of these stellar ladies. I’m much more myself living in a small apartment reminiscing of a way of life long gone.

Meet the writer: Gumi Malhotra

Gumi Malhotra
Hello chai people! Here’s one more attempt to pen down some of the million memories I carry with me. We came away from the gardens twelve years ago with our hearts full ( not so much the pocket) of such nuggets. 

We live in Bangalore now and what started as a hobby in the gardens has become my calling. I paint pet portraits. The happiest days spent in tea were in the Jali kamra with my paints, the boys occupied with make believe cars and a steady stream of tea flowing from the kitchen. Cheers!

Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories! 
 
Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com. My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always), maybe a tall tale, long, or short, impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull. You will find yourself transported to another world! 

 
Happy reading! Cheers to the spirit of Indian Tea!

ADD THIS LINK TO YOUR FAVOURITES : https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/Indian Chai Stories
 

6 comments:

  1. What a delightful article. I was mesmerised and didn't want it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. My first Burra Mem was Parvathy Menon..grace exemplified, who not only took charge of my life to help me get settled... my own mother couldn't have done a better job. Then there was Anees Ahmedullah...who was not just a Burra Mem but a mentor and advisor who gave me true advice that was good for me, even if it was to go against what her husband, who was my Super Boss, wanted me to do. Then there was Lorraine Wood...a dear friend...warmth, generosity and hospitality benchmark. They're all still there and friends now of over thirty years plus. I am truly fortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent , yes Tea Burra Memsahibs are a different breed with some common distinct features , as they grow up, culturally and socially in simillar surroundings of Tea. All of them come from different backgrounds, different groomings, yet Tea moulds them in somewhat similar colors. As the writer herself ends with- i am a pale immitation....( that's a modest comment) goes to show memsahibs have been groomed into certain mould for years before they ascend the throne of Burra Memsahibs, of course not forgetting each one has her own individual traits. Tea is sort of university of great social learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While everyone of the ladies mentioned are steller within their respective constellations and beyond, the author of this piece of prose is quite a star herself! The dimensions of the house do not dim the brightness of the astral body that lies within!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful read. Just a reminder that Roma and Kuljit are still as kind, smiling, hospitable and gentle as ever. Their gracious home is a meeting point for delightful chats and Roma’s delectable creations.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!