Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Early Plantation Days in the Nilgiris

Hello again, dear readers! Birthday month at Indian Chai Stories (we turned three!!) and family time! That's right, 'family time'. Radha Madapa**, and later her mother-in-law Vina had written about their lives as cha memsaabs, and now a third member of the Madapa family, their 'Big Chief' writes a fascinating and engaging account of his early days in tea. Enjoy your read! -Gowri

by Codanda Tata Madappa

With my children Navina & Vinod, Lauriston Estate, 1965

I was born in my grandfather's house in a coffee estate in Kodagu(Coorg). As a senior student in 1942, I participated in the Quit India Movement in my hometown Madikeri - taking part in protests, shouting slogans, demanding that the British leave India. I was a school boy of around ten years, when Gandhiji visited Somwarpet (again in Kodagu), and I had the good fortune to not only be present but also to be in the front, and he gave me an orange! 

After my graduation in the early '50s when I got a job, as fate would have it, I had to report to a Britisher in the plantations. The company I joined was called Ouchterlony Valley Estates (1938) Limited, situated at the foothills of the Nilgiris. Goodness me, the environment and weather was akin to my home district of Kodagu. The Valley was known for eye catching water falls, birds and wildlife, scenic beauty, scope for fishing and duck shooting. It was exciting indeed to hear tigers roaring on the mountain ridges during the mating season. 

With the Minkleys, Kelly Estate,1955
The property of about 15 thousand acres was once owned by Colonel Ouchterlony. Subsequently it was inherited by Wobshire and family. Due to repeated losses through the years of war, the property had to be floated as a Limited Company. Peirce Leslie Limited cornered the major shares and thus took over the management and administration, with their Head Office at Calicut, Kerala. When I joined the company, they had 1500 acres of tea and 4500 acres of coffee with factories and pulpers. Later years cardamom and pepper too. One coffee pulper was inaugurated by Lord Lytton, the then Viceroy of India, on 17/9/1877. On elephant back he was treated to Shikaar. When I joined, there were seven British Managers and one Indian called Menon. John Hamilton Wilkes was the General Manager. I was posted at Glenvans Estate and shared the bungalow with a British Assistant Manager called John Macliment. 

A beautiful, good natured horse called Lancashire was kept at my disposal so I could execute my duties. Syce was a person called Kathamuthu who was a smart fellow. Rain, cold or sunshine, off to duty exactly at 7:30 a.m. Later years when they did away with horses I bought a secondhand 3.5 HP BSA motorbike for Rs.2,000. As time rolled on, the Plantation Labour Act came into force. Labour Unions were well organised and so also staff. Those days in order to have better control over labour force“Kangani System” was there. This gave labour supervisors absolute power over labour ,i.e, apart from wages the supervisors were earning commission per head. More labour, more commission. Thus more extraction of work and turnover. Soon the government banned this system.

As anticipated, the British planters started getting back one by one. Eventually labour unrest increased with the change of management style- Harthals and demanding more wages,etc. The first Indian General Manager was appointed who was one Mr P.K. Monnappa - ex I.G of Police (Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka) on a three-year contract.

Around this time (1962), the newly formed Indian government stopped the “Managing Agency” system and so the Peirce Leslie Plantation sector was taken over by one Mr. Jhunjunwala who in turn sold the controlling shares to one Sri Bajoria of Kolkata. Subsequently the properties' control was bought over by M/s Manjushree Plantations Private Limited of Kolkata who still manage the erstwhile O'Valley Company.

Once a group of us with local guides trekked up to the Nilgiri Peak and had a picnic. On the way up we sighted ibex, Malabar squirrels and sambar. From the top of the peak we could see the Arabian Sea. During Pierce Leslie’s days we played a lot of sports. Our club in the Valley had a tennis court and billiards. My Manager Major Keith Vaughan Arbuckle insisted that we participate in UPASI sports (an annual event). He was one of the pioneer planters and a decent type. 

New Hope Estate, 1958
I being a shikaar enthusiast managed to bag leopard, bison, sambar, porcupine, etc. Besides, good fishing at Mukurthi Lake and duck-shooting at Begur. In my good old Ambassador car I would secure my small boat on top. Earlier days had a Ford Prefect (bought for Rs.5,600) that conveniently had a front visor (windshield) which I could open and prop my .22 gun and all I had to do was wait and watch. 

With my wife Vina ,Glenvans Tea Factory,1969
My wife disliked my “shikaar” sprees. Went on strike and turned vegetarian, which she still is! Once at night on our way back from the club there was a magnificent stag. I opened the cars visor and ever so quietly picked up my rifle which was always in the car. Stag was in my sights when my wife furiously pushed the barrel of my gun.

One Sunday, three of us, all bachelors decided we’d have an outing to Mysore (about 130 kilometres away), enjoy a good lunch and watch a movie. We travelled on our bikes. The route to Mysore is we first cross the Mudumalai Sanctuary (in Tamil Nadu) and then Bandipur Reserve(in Karnataka). Well, we had a good time in Mysore and left at around seven pm. Bandipur Sanctuary was smooth sailing. In Mudumalai my friend Madaiah who was ahead with poor headlights thought he saw a bullock-cart ahead, as he went on to overtake, to his dismay realised it was a wild tusker who turned around to attack! He abandoned his bike and ranfor his life. Ravindran who was next too had to get off his bike and flee. I being at the end of the line somehow managed to turn my bike around,and  they both jumped on my bike and we raced back quite a distance. We ended up spending the night at a temple - of course a restless night . Early next morning we headed back to find the motorbikes,one was damaged but luckily started .We raced back to The Valley to be on time for muster (morning roster call). News travelled fast and our Managing Agent (PL) sent us a telegram that read- “Congratulations on escaping from the jaws of death!”

All the factories, coffee pulper houses, bungalows staff quarters, labour lines had water supply by gravitation. Some areas of tea irrigation was also by gravitation only. Some pockets had Blake Hydram.Two of the Bungalows, Suffolk and Guynd had electricity by hydro-power only! Labour and staff worked well with me and I loved them for their loyalty. I admired the energy of the pluckers- mostly women folk moving up and down the hill.

I spent the best part of my life at the ‘O’Valley, no regrets! According to Law of Nature, what should happen will happen, and for everything there is a time to happen! While I was at Lauriston, I realised that my time was up. I returned home to tend to my property in Coorg.

I have since visited the O.V. many a time and still reminisce of the the glory days of my life in the plantations.

Meet the writer: 

Codanda Tata Madappa

Always enthusiastic and in good spirits, my father in law keeps us on our toes! A *nonagenarian who still drives to town to meet his friends or for a game of bridge. He’s always up to something- planting in his backyard or writing in his journal, planning his next outing or play acting. His sense of humour is legendary. He still hides behind a bush or around the corner to ambush his grandsons - who are mostly unfazed - but it gives me a near heart-attack!! An inspiration to us and to his grandchildren. We consider ourselves blessed to have him in our lives. - Radha Madapa 

*Radha tells me he will turn 97 soon, and this makes Mr Madapa our oldest contributor! - Gowri

**Radha wrote for Indian Chai Stories ( read her 'Darjeeling Days' here:  https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/search/label/Radha%20Madapa and later, her mum-in-law Vina shared her delightful account of life in the O'Valley. You can read it here: https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/search/label/Vina%20Madappa


Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories!
Do you have a chai story of your own to share?  

Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com. 

My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always), maybe a tall tale, long, or short, impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull. 
Happy reading! Cheers to the spirit of Indian Tea! 

39 comments:

  1. What an absolutely fabulous story! Thank you very much Codanda Tata Madappa and Gowri Mohanakrishnan. I loved all the stories, and what I enjoyed most was the vision of Vina giving the gun barrel a determined shove and saving that beautiful stag!! Thank you very much for the photos too. Would love to hear and see more ❤️
    Saaz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a tonne for the words of appreciation of my article. I'm still cross with my wife for not allowing me to open fire at the stag. Ah ha ha...
      Am now enjoying old age.

      Delete
  2. Thoroughly enjoyed reading these memories and seeing the lovely photos. Thank you very much Codanda Tata Madappa and Gowri Mohanakirshnan. What I enjoyed most was the vision of Vina shoving the gun barrel determinedly aside and saving that beautiful stag!
    Look forward to your next post, sir ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoroughly entertained by this puckish account of the olden days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your pat on my back.
      Olden days, golden days indeed. God bless.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful story of O-Valley. In the 70's and 80's Glenvans was a popular mark amidst Kerala dust buyers.Enjoyed reading the blog. Look forward to more stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your appreciation of my article. I feel flattered. God bless you.

      Delete
  5. I knew Mr. C.T. Madappa having stayed with him at Glenvans. I was with J. Thomas & Co., Tea Auctioneers for Glenvans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah yah, i still remember the Scotch whiskey bottle you presented to me. Trust this finds you and your family well. Take care John, I'm at sunset age. Regards and Cheers.

      Delete
  6. Such an interesting read ! Really enjoyed it !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Thank you, thank you. Regards.

      Delete
  7. Delightful to read about plantation life and connect. My grandfather, who
    worked for British planters as manager of Karaikoli estate in Coorg has narrated many interesting tidbits during his days in the plantation. Vinod and myself studied together in St Joseph's college Bangalore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed. Thank you, thank you. I was born at a place next to Karaikoli estate only. Perhaps you know Koravanda Carry and Ponnu of Bollava estate. I too studied in St. Joseph's college in 1943. Vinod recollets you. He is with me now. All the best and regards.

      Delete
  8. Very well written Mr. C. T. madappa.Thank you for sharing your experience.Really enjoyed reading...
    Thank you Gowri for creating this blog... where a variety of true experiences can be shared. We look forward to read many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of appreciation!

      Delete
    2. I'm humbled by your kind words. My gratitude to Gowri for publishing my article in the blog. God bless.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely story. Really took me on a journey back in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still young- only 96+. I was made to write under duress by my daughter-in-law Radha! Glad you enjoyed it. God bless.

      Delete
  10. Lovely write-up! Congratulations sir going great guns @97. My father too worked for o'valley from 1965-1997. Good memories and could relate to all the places mentioned in the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for flattering me. I don't know to what extent I deserve it though. However I'm happy to know that your dad also worked at OV over three decades. If you mention his name I may be able recollect. All the best.

      Delete
  11. That beautiful writeup also gave us a sneak peek into the British days Tata uncle.
    Great to see Navina too .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you. Glad you liked it. My blessings.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely story. Planters are good storytellers, what is written has actually happened! Tea has its own charm and way of life. Stay blessed Mr Mandappa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a tonne,4 yr kind words of appreciation n blessings.During,my next birth also, i dont mind spending my life in the plantation!!
      God bless.cheers.

      Delete
  13. What a lovely account from an era when plantation living was in its heydays. Enjoyed reading the stories within the story. Thank you Mr C. T. Madappa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T.Q 4 yr kind words of appreciation.Glad U enjoyed the write up!
      All the best n regards.

      Delete
  14. Planters are a breed apart.You are born to be a planter,you can't train yourself to be a planter.After having lived over 30 years in the tea estates ,I can say that with some authority .Thanks Vinod,Radha and most of all Mr.Madappa for taking us down your memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yah, I concur with you. Glad I managed to recollect events of the past in the woods - life in the plantations. Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. bindu.aiyanna @gmai.comApril 26, 2021 at 11:37 PM

    Hello Radha and Big Hello to uncle Tata.
    This is Bindu Aiyanna and I am your cousin Kandrathanda Baboo's daughter and wife of M.C.Aiyanna also a Retired Tea Planter's wife .from Tea Estates India Ltd.Both Fredy and myself enjoyed reading about your life and Adventures in O Valley..So lovely to see pics of Vinod and Navina when they were little on the tea garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bindu, excuse me for the delay in acknowledging your comments on my write up. My grateful thanks to you and your kind words of appreciation. My blessings to you and your family members. My big Salaam to your jovial dad.
      All the best and love, Tata.

      Delete
  17. I am so thrilled to have discovered your story, Mr Madapa. I am the small girl of ten years in your picture with my parents Stuart and Molly Minkley and the panther. I remember the occasion so well and have a copy of the same photo plus one of myself alone with the dead panther. My Dad was manager of Kelly at the time and I also was taken to see a dead calf that the panther had killed in the Tulloes lines if I remember correctly. I was born in the O.V. at New Hope then moved to Suffolk. My best and happiest memories are of Suffolk as we were there from when I was three till nine years when we moved across the valley to Kelly. I went to school aged five to Hebron High School for girls in Coonoor. I remember the other managers you mention and used to visit the Menons with Babu and Jaya. Despite being British we all loved India and I still do. My parents returned to the UK in 1965 to live in Edinburgh Scotland where I still live with my husband and family. Do give my very kind regards to your wife and family. I remember Vina very well and once met you and small children in Ooty on one of my visits back from school in the UK. With every good wish for the future, Perhaps I will write my own Chai Story one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane!
      How wonderful to read that! I am so happy that you saw Tata's story and the photograph. One of the ideas behind 'Indian Chai Stories' was to connect people and it's just wonderful how this keeps happening. I'm sure you'll hear from Tata himself soon; I sent your comment to his daughter in law Radha and she's told him about it.
      Meanwhile, I'll wait to hear from you at indianchaistories@gmail.com with your very own chai story. Drop me a line, in any case. All good wishes to you.

      Delete
    2. Dear Jane, my Salaam to you. What a small village the globe has shrunken into! Thanks to Smt. Gowri for the blog. I am happy and elated to hear from you after about 66 years + Goodness gracious! Your parents were a good friendly couple. Dad was a good planter. Both good at tennis. I got married while at Suffolk. At the time of shooting the panther, my colleague,Tim Stranding was with me. I gave the skin to him. General Manager J.H Whilkes had a son called Pumpernickel. Sportson had a smart daughter. You were a pretty little doll then. I am running on 98 years only. My nephew Kollimada who is a doctor is settled down in the UK. He has come to New Hope for holidays. Looking forward to your chaistory. My wife joins me in sending our best wishes and regards to do your good husband and family members.
      Cheers!
      Madappa.

      Delete
  18. Sir this was such a delightful and exciting read . You made everything come alive ! I can picture your about turn on the motorcycle and your colleagues jumping on to the machine ! I have one question - curious question - what was the name of the movie you watched in Mysore 😜!!! Thanks Gowri and Indian Chai Stories for bringing this adventure to Chai for Cancer

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was so happy to read about O'Valley as the Ravindran mentioned in the article happened to be my mum's cousin.He and his wife Vasanthaedathy used to visit us quite often as we lived on a tiny patch of land next to Glenvans or Loriston on the other side of the hill.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, it's great to see old pictures of the plantations where I spent my childhood. I actually came across the old Lauriston pic in this post and immediately recognized it and that, in turn, lead me this post.
    Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!