Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Thursday, June 17, 2021

Was It A Dream?

 by Nandita Tiwari

Hello again, friends! Here's another story by Nandita Tiwari for you to enjoy. Thanks for the laughs, Nandita. This is a story from her husband Akhil's bachelor days, and the writer narrates it in his voice.   Got your cup of tea ? Read on!

Two colossal pinkish-grey pillars were hit by my Yezdi at midnight at the slopes of Aibheel. A deafening sound followed, piercing the silence of the night. Was it a dream?!

Pix by Akhil Tiwari

A stag party was being hosted by Shashi Menon at his bachelor bungalow in Satkayah division of Aibheel T.G. where the food was rolling and the liquor was flowing. Needless to say, the stags turned wild in due course of the merriment. Mahesh Moktan, Kevin David and Suresh Kartha were among the few party animals. As the party was nearing its end, I thanked my host slurring a bit and that’s when my host offered, “Why don’t you stay the night, Akhil?” But I decided to carry on. So I mounted my bike fully clad and prepared for the chilly December night. 

With the woollen cap covering my ears, bike gloves snug into my palms, my fleece jacket buttoned up to the collar and my practical winter boots, I vroomed my bike, feeling no less than a hero in my tipsy state. The next day happened to be a kaamjaari day, which would begin sharp at six a.m. As I sped on my bike from the warmth of the bonfire party of the bungalow into the cold night air, my breath became visible in foggy wisps. The ice-cold wind went through my jacket like a hot knife cutting through butter.

The blackness of the night made for an eerie uncertainty. I sped along the rugged pathway, meandering, mounting and dismounting through the valleys and the peaks of the hillock. I felt no lesser than an invincible F1 racer. The speeding shadows of the trees and the rustling of the leaves was alluring which added to the surrealism of the night. Suddenly I froze. It was hard to shove aside the worries that something creepy lurked around the corner. Was it my muddled state of mind or the squally weather? I was sozzled after all. Nevertheless, I carried on.

However, the uncanniness of the night magnified when a little away from me, right in the middle of the road there emerged two huge pinkish-grey pillars. I jammed my brakes hard but because of the wet sloping road the mo-bike skid and crashed right into one of the pillars. Screeching, the bike came to a halt and a deafening sound followed, piercing the silence of the night. Was it a dream?! I pinched myself and knew that I was in the middle of the road on a dark night. Bleary-eyed I reversed back wiping the cold sweat dribbling down my chin. I decided to retreat to the safety of one of the nearest bungalows.

I reached the factory bungalow occupied by Mahesh Moktan and called out seeking shelter for the night in his bungalow - narrating the incident of the collision to him. He gaped at me with disbelief! Saying that the cocktail of fire, the windy cold night and lots of booze had fazed me out, he was kind enough to lead me to his guest room and I plonked on the bed, thankful for the warmth of the blanket!

The next morning, a knock at the door woke me up. I drank in my surroundings along with a hot cup of tea, a tad surprised due to my heavy head. I was ready to take the day head on! Yet again I saddled my Yezdi with a different mindset and rode on. Now the same curvy pathways which looked rugged and savage at night were lush and verdant in the lights of the dawn. 

The sky was glowing even though the sun was still below the horizon, getting ready to peak out. The colours of the tea bushes returned to golden green which had been dark and velvety at night. The morning breeze was fresh on my face. Birds twittered on the treetops. As I rode down the path I could hear the rapids of the stream flick against the boulders. The gurgling of water flowing was like music to my ears. Aware of my surroundings, I vroomed on the camel-hump like roads of Aibheel which lead to the highway.

Suddenly my eyes met elephant droppings at three places. So I got off my bike to inspect them- as the incident of my mo-bike colliding into pinkish-grey pillars at midnight seemed rather unnatural. Now as  I looked around lighting a cigarette, everything was fresh and pristine. I also noticed the muddy tyre marks of a bike. But I had to reach my destination so I rode on. Just at the intersection of the crossroads of Aibheel and Indong Tea Estate, a few of the elephant squad Chowkidars huddled, immersed in serious discussion. Yet again I had to stop to enquire what the discussion was all about.

They told me in their words, “Gazab ho gaya saab kal raat ko”- (the unbelievable happened last night). From the valley where the squad stood, through their mashalls and flashlights they had seen a single headlight of a noisy motorcycle which had probably hit an elephant. They guessed as much because suddenly there was a loud trumpeting in the silent night. They went on to add that the noisy mo-bike and the collision had made the Ganesh Maharajas anxious. They said that there were eleven Ganesh Maharaj (elephants) out of which eight had gone towards Mattelli (another tea estate in the vicinity) and three towards Aibheel. After the incident, these three Ganeshjis ran towards Indong and trampled their paddy fields.

That’s when it hit me that the pinkish-grey pillars which I had hit at the stroke of midnight were indeed colossal legs of an elephant! The deafening trumpeting which I had heard last night confirmed that they were indeed Grand Maharajas. It wasn’t a dream after all. I thanked my stars that I was safe and alive.

Then I quipped, “Do you know It was me on that motorcycle at midnight”, and the elephant squad retorted “Kyu dillagi kar rahe ho saab?” (Why are you joking around with us saab). Without another word and a wry smile, I continued to ride on gliding along the beautiful Chulsa tea estate!

Pix by Ashish Sanghwan

Pix by Akhil Tiwari

Meet the writer: Nandita Tiwari
Nandita joined the tea fraternity in 1991 when she arrived in Danguajhar in the Dooars. She and her husband Akhil were in various gardens in the Dooars for over 30 years, and also in Amgoorie (Assam) for a brief period of time. They are now settled in Siliguri.

In 2019, Nandita decided to start penning down some of the unique experiences that came her way.
 You can read her stories on her own blog, here: https://nanditat6.wixsite.com/rosee-t
 
 

Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories! 
Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please:  indianchaistories@gmail.com. 
 
My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always), maybe a tall tale; maybe long, short, impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull. You will find yourself transported to another world! 
 
Happy reading! Cheers to the spirit of Indian Tea!

ADD THIS LINK TO YOUR FAVOURITES : 
https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/

23 comments:

  1. Write-up is so good felt as if I am reading a MB and the hero will meet a beautiful girl wearing a pinkish grey saree.
    Lovely ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Monika.Comparingthe write up to MB made my day.Though the hero took his time to meet the girl...
      Love.
      Health and Happiness

      Delete
  2. A well narrated incident,Night adventure n the narrow escape.Wild life prevails in those area..from late evening onward till dawn heard of elephants roam about searching for food.Locally known as Ganesh Maharaj .they very seldom harm the population..barring stray incidents.Akhil was lucky to escape inspite of colliding into the elephant due to Gods grace.Well recollected thoughts of an incident happened long back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Readers.
      Your comments means a lot and there cheers to Gowri for this platform where we can connect.
      Health and Happiness to all.

      Delete
  3. Indeed, a very beautifully worded fascinating story. In fact, I too though it Akhil’s Yezdi must have hit a cement pillar on his way. I like Nandita’ s writing as she keeps the reader’ s interest & curiosity very high to read the story to the end to find out what really happened. Also I am wondering why Ganesh Maharaja did not do any harm to him. Thanks God!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ananda for your wonderful words...Yes I am told that the Naharajas were stunned and did not know what hit them...
      Thank God to the high spirits to keep his heart intact..
      Health and Happiness..

      Delete
  4. Dhiraj Kumar BarmanJune 19, 2021 at 3:34 PM

    Hi..Nandita..
    Loved going through the marvellous writings
    Akhil's adventures through your pen..
    Looking forward of reading many more..
    Dhiraj Kumar Barman..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A wonderful read.. really enjoyed nandita... wonderfully penned down Akhil's adventure...keep going...never a dull moment in the tea gardens.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Dhiraj.I am glad you enjoyed reading it. Yes Tea life is always full of adventures of all kind..

      Delete
  5. I have walked many times in the night through the roads of Inding & Aibheel! Glad never met the Mahakal Baba!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember going for evening walks on the slopy Aibheel roads. Thankfully, our encounters with elephants were always from a safe distance. These wonderfully narrated tales leave us in awe; truly incredible experiences. 👌

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed the narration. Thank You.

      Delete
  7. A scary one but left us with a good laugh at the end. The narration is very smooth and the descriptions leave a clear picture in the head. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Neha for your wonderful comments.

      Health and happiness..

      Delete
    2. Thank you Neha.
      I am glad you enjoyed it.
      Health and happiness.

      Delete
  8. Dear nandita...what a wonderful read... adventure of Akhil...never a dull moment in the gardens...you penned it down wonderfully... could actually picture it...keep going..loads of love.. ñamrata

    ReplyDelete
  9. A narrow escape..... beautifully penned down......but imagining the situation really gives goosebumps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Abhinav...I am glad you enjoyed it.
      All the best..

      Delete
  10. A scary one but yes full of adventure.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nandita, Aibheel and Killcott are neighbors and wild elephant herds driven from one estate would trespass the neighbors, so it was quite an ordeal.
    Nicely narrated,thankfully Akhil was unharmed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes..Anjan..Thank you..!
    The spirit of the planters are always high..
    They over come any and every thing....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said,Nandita
      It's our wonderful spouses who give us the strength and drive to battle on each day.

      Delete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!