Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Munnar Revisited

by Manjit Singh 

Hello again, dear readers! I am sure many of you will be dreaming of revisiting old haunts after reading this lovely story. Thank you, Manjit!

It had been six years since I left Munnar. I had spent my entire working life there and memories kept coming back. I had to go back for a visit and experience the sights and sounds of Munnar again. I booked my flight tickets to Kochi and headed south on 16th march.

Earlier I had spoken with Mathew the MD of KDHP and old friend Jojo about my intention to visit, and they were kind enough to suggest that I plan it to coincide with the HRC/ Staff College meet and suggested I represent the club in golf - what could be a greater honour!

I landed in Kochi on a sultry evening and was received at the airport by the company driver Pandiraj who greeted me as 'Dorai'. I felt I was back home .Kochi airport has changed a lot – the international airport has come up as a huge complex dwarfing the original domestic airport. The new airport complex with a golf course adjacent to it, and plans to build more hotels and a shopping mall are an indication of the development that is envisaged for Kerala.

Kochi city has seen a change with the introduction of the metro - MG road is not the same - in fact excessive construction has taken place and now from most buildings the view of the bay has been compromised. Fort Kochi has maintained its old world charm-thanks to the strict laws in force to preserve heritage buildings.

After a night's stay at the companys guest house ( where Mariadas the caretaker was most hospitable) I left for Munnar . The drive was very pleasant and I reached Munnar to have a ‘planters lunch’ with Jojo and Neela.

In the afternoon was the Finlay Shield football final between Letchmi and Madupatty estates( Letchmi now includes Sevenmallay and Madupatty includes Chokanad and Grahmsland estate) There was a slight drizzle and one could see thousands of umbrellas in a very charged atmosphere. Football continues to remain an emotional sport which binds everyone in the High Range and nothing has changed; even in the victory celebrations after Letchmi won.

The High Range Club won the cricket match against staff college but has lost the tennis and the squash.The party at the club was organized with a DJ in attendance. It is great meeting old colleagues and the affection they all showed was overwhelming.The party reminded me of all the fun we had during the inter-club sports meet over the years. The only difference being that on this occasion I was a guest !

The following morning was golf - the course I had played on for more than three decades was in superb condition and it was a privilege representing the club again. That competitive spirit emerged again and I put in my best. The post golf revelry and the prize distribution was vibrant. The meet was won by High Range Club and the guests from Staff College were given a warm send off in the evening.

The next day I visited the Head Offfice to meet all my colleagues – a lively discussion over a cup of tea with Mathew, Srikishnan, Jojo, Mohan, and Cari was invigorating. The tea outlet in the Head Office has been redesigned asthetically and the sales have been increasing every year.The sales outlet and the tea museum are big revenue earners for the company.

I decided to take a drive towards Gundumally estate – the drive brought back vivid memories of my stints in some of the estates we drove past. The Anaemudi peak looked majestic and  I remembered lighting a born fire there in 1978 to commemorate a 100 years of planting in the High Range!The view from the Thenmallay gap was as spellbinding as ever – with the plains of Tamil Nadu seen in the distance. In Southuparai I was able to meet my butler Raje and maids Geetamary and Anthoniamma; they had been part of our lives in the high range and served us with utmost loyalty.

The High Range club exudes an old world charm and Cottage No. 4 is still elegantly maintained. The staff are very courteous and served me my favourite sizzler for dinner! The club was our second home when we were working here; we built strong life long friendships here, enjoyed sporting events and parties. I will always have happy memories of the club of which I am now a life member!

The next days drive to Top Station was the most emotional. 

I had joined in Yellapatty estate in 1978 and this drive past the Madupatty and Kundale dams will always remain etched in my memory.Even though tourism has led to a lot of activity on this route, the pristine beauty still remains.The one place that has stood the test of time is Kundale Club ! I sat in the verandah and gazed with moist eyes at the beautiful golf course- nothing had changed except for the one weeping willow tree on the 4th fairway which had died, and Karuppasamy the caretaker was not there - he had passed away a few years ago. 

How time has flown, as I remembered sitting here on the first day I joined the company on 14th November 1978 with Karuppasamy serving tea!

A visit to the new factory in the MNAP was an eyeopener.It is the best factory I have seen and I could see the pride in Sharans’ eyes when he took me around. KDHP companys long term vision plan is paying dividends- especially the new clearings which have changed the tea landscape of Munnar!

A quiet dinner with the Lahiris marked the end of my visit and the next morning I was ready to leave Munnar. As I looked at the hills again I realized that I will never be able to forget ,where I had spent the best years of my life, the place which had brought so much of joy and where the 'simple tea leaves' had brought us from different parts of the country and the world to lead such a beautiful life !!

Pix from https://www.holidify.com/places/munnar/sevenmallay-tea-estate-sightseeing-1253366.html
 Meet the writer: 
Manjit Singh
I studied in the Lawrence School, Sanawar, and passed out in 1970. I then did my B.A (Hons) and M.A in History from Hindu College, Delhi University. I joined Tata Finlay in 1978 ( in 1983 it became Tata Tea ) and worked in the Plantation Division in South India- mainly in Munnar with a brief stint in the Anamallais in Tamil Nadu. 

I retired in 2014 as General Manager of the Tea Division of Tata Coffee, a subsidiary of Tata Tea. I am a keen sportsman and have represented the Club, Company and Upasi ( United Planters Association of South India) in cricket, squash and golf. After retirement we have settled in Chandigarh and my son and daughter work and live in Delhi. 



Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories! 
Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com. 
 
My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always), maybe a tall tale, maybe long, short, impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull. You will find yourself transported to another world! 
 
Happy reading! Cheers to the spirit of Indian Tea!

ADD THIS LINK TO YOUR FAVOURITES : 
https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/

 

21 comments:

  1. Manjit, so lovely to read this article. Jojo is another old friend who you mentioned. Have been out of touch with him for many years. But the beauty of planting is that once a friend, always a friend. I am not too familiar with Munnar, having gone there for the first time in 1973 for an interview which I failed. And then a couple of times with Berty and Jenny for the Anamallai Club - High Range Club sports meets. Recall fishing for trout in Rajamalai and eating them, fried in butter followed by fresh ice-cold watermelon and then crashing out for the count in deep, food induced slumber. The mark of contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written Man Singh! I remember you so well. A gentle soul and a good squash player, Obviously from your college days in Hindu.Nice to know that all seems well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely written. Brings back back a lot of memories especially the high range club where I always stayed while I was supplying agro chemicals andctea chest to Tata tea. Jo and Neela are my good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manjit tha reminds me of our visit to Munnar,thanks to Jojo's invite for his daughters wedding.We were old college friends from Hindu.Munnar and KDTP are scenic and well maintained.Our short visit courtesy Jojo and Neela has remained etched in my memories.As I sit back in Dehradun, after retirement from Tea,can't think of a better life than that of a Planter.Best wishes to you Manjit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A tea planters life ,especially in munnar was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully written Manjit, never could forget those beautiful moments.Memories of our golfing get togethers at Kundle club, which used to go beyond sunset! And who could forget your spontaneous jokes and instantaneous laughter. Yes, those were the days my friend. Good to know you still pursue your favorite pastime, golf. Give me a call if you happen to be in Cochin. We can have a good round of golf at CIAL. Take care.
    Chandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou.Kundale Club was pristine and our golf outings there memorable.Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully written. Straight from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Manjit, delighted to read this article.Fond memories of High Range, trout fishing and most of all dear friends.
    Tilak Narayan

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely.. I was lucky to visit the estetes of munnar few years back.. Had a cricket match at the club.. The scenic view of the golf was amazing... The club kept the heritage well preserved

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thankyou.We all are proud of our club and did our best to maintain the traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to read this Man Singh! Everything brings back memories. I look forward to meeting sometime.
    Best regards
    Viju

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!