Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Tuesday, October 11, 2022

'A little bit late'

by Vineet Rajvanshi 

Hello, friends! There are some things that could only ever happen in a tea garden! Please welcome our latest writer,Vineet Rajvanshi, who tells us a most intriguing and interesting story.

It was during the year 1996, when I was posted as divisonal Manager at Lakmijan Tea Estate, Nazira, District Sibsagar, Assam.One afternoon after lunch break, had just settled down in my office and was preparing for my afternoon round of the garden, when office peon informed me that Doctor Babu wanted to come in.

The Doctor Babu, an elderly pharmacist, said that there was a snake bite case in the nearby labour line but the patient was refusing to come to the hospital for treatment.

I advised him to go to the house of the worker and get him to hospital. After about 15 -20 minutes the pharmacist, along with the worker and a few of his neighbors came to the office. The worker who was in his early twenties was in an inebriated condition. He was holding a baby king cobra about a foot long by its neck. On inquiry, he explained that he had gone to fish in the pond near his house and found the baby snake on the bank. He tried to catch the same, in the process it bit him 2-3 times. He proudly stated that he had finally caught the snake.

The pharmacist complained that with the snake still in his hand, how could he provide treatment to the patient. I convinced the worker to release the snake .When the snake was released, the pharmacist gave him first aid and referred him to the group hospital at Mackeypore Tea Estate.

I was later informed by Dr Phukan, the Medical officer at Mackeypore that the patient had been referred to Jaysagar Civil Hospital. He was further referred to Assam Medical College and Hospital, Dibrugarh.

However the patient died near Moran, on the way to Dibrugarh.

The following morning the labour union secretary named Masa Koyah approached me. He lamented that the worker could not be saved despite all efforts, basically as he was drunk and the very reason why he was bitten by snake. Moreover he reported to the hospital very late. I gave my usual sermon to him about the ill effects of consuming liquor, saying that this menace must be checked. He being a seasoned trade union leader supported my views, nodding his head. However, I could sense that this was just a formality. After discussing a few other points and seeking customary help from the management for the cremation of the deceased, he left the office.

Next day, seeing Masa Koya near my office, I casually enquired about the cremation of the worker, and was shocked to learn that he had not been cremated. Masa Koyah told me that the OJHA of a nearby village was doing JHAR PHUNK on the body and family members of the deceased were hoping for his revival. 

I reasoned with him that the dead can’t be brought to life and it was already the third day since he died. Masa Koyah pleaded with me to allow one more day , for the satisfaction of his near and dear ones. Reluctantly I agreed, but warned that by the next day he must be cremated. 

Next morning I called the union secretary and enquired about the progress. He replied in the negative. With my patience running out, I told him that if the cremation was not held on that day and if there was any infection in the labour colony he would be held responsible. 

He replied that he was making a last request and sought time up to evening. He told me that there was a very renowned Ojha near Moran town who possessed supernatural powers, who was known to have made dead men alive by his medication and yantra mantra. The family of deceased wanted to take the dead body to that Ojha as a last resort.

With a warning that the deadline must not be crossed, he was given the go-ahead. That evening the family came back from Moran Town and the body was cremated. 

Next morning I asked Masa Koyah what had happened at Moran. He replied in all seriousness, "Ojha bola ki thoda sa deri ho gaya, nahi toh theek kar deta" ( You are little bit late in bringing the patient, otherwise he would have been cured)!
 

PS

I was transferred the following year to Poloi Tea Estate, District Cachar, Assam, as Manager. The property changed hands during 1999 . I chose the option to work with the incumbent company up to the year 2005. Afterwards, continued working in Cachar and Tripura for couple of companies. However, in an interesting turn of events, got a call from Lakmijan Tea Estate during January 2018 to rejoin that garden. Considering the long association with that company, I decided to join again.

It was a strange feeling going back to same garden after a gap of full 21 years. So much change had taken place in and around the garden. Many staff members had retired, though a few were still there. Masa Koyah the Union secretary of yesteryear and many others had already left on their journey to the next world.

My driver Kamal Gogoi, who used to be lean and lanky, had  turned into a stout fellow with grey hair. Kamal Gogoi used to take me around the garden on my daily visits. One day I mentioned to him about the case of snake bite during my earlier stint. He immediately recollected the incident as he was ambulance driver at that time and had taken the worker to Assam Medical College. He informed me that the man's widow and his son were permanent workers in the garden. 

After a few days, a frail woman appeared outside my office window in the morning hours. The window used to be kept open while I was in the office to facilitate any communication regarding any grievance or requirement.

I asked her what the matter was, and she explained that she was the wife of the worker who had died of snake bite many years ago.

“Saheb Kamal driver bola ki aap ham log ka khoj liya tha,” ( Sir, I came to know from driver Kamal Gogoi that you had enquired about our well- being ).

She did not marry again, though she must have been very young when widowed. I conveyed my condolences and expressed my anguish that her husband could not be saved. She said “Kya karega saheb woh itna peeta tha. maanta hi nahi tha.” ( Sir, my late husband used to drink so much despite being asked not to drink).

Editor's note:
Ojha - medicine man/faith healer
Jhar-Phunk - mystic rituals
Yantra- Mantra - charms/incantations

The writer, Vineet Rajvanshi

Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories! Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com. 

My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always) - maybe a tall tale, maybe long, short, impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull. You will find yourself transported to another world! 

This is the link to all the stories on this blog: https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/
Be sure to add it to your list of favourites! Happy reading!! Cheers to the spirit of Indian tea!

3 comments:

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!