Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Thursday, November 30, 2023

My World in a Teacup

 Dear friends, I am most happy to share this little mood piece by Mansi Chaturvedi. I started reading and was wafted away to a much loved place and another era. Do get yourself a cup of tea before you settle down to lose yourself in Mansi's world. -Gowri

I remember sitting in the verandah of my huge bungalow, amidst the green of the tea garden, where the silence around me was disturbed only by the sound of the falling rain on the roof top and all around me. I remember seeing giving a nice wash to all the plants that I had arranged around my bungalow. There was no one to be seen, I guess they paused work for a while as they were waiting for the downpour to stop.

I was looking out and enjoying the rain, and it is really beautiful to watch it from where I did. The tea tray had been put down and tea was poured out from the tea pot. A few biscuits just as add-ons to enjoy this tea. I have had tea for many years. I remember making it - you know how the Indian masala chai as it is called - is made. It is left to simmer till you are satisfied with the aroma of the fresh ginger in the tea and the colour that you would want it to transform into. Here I was, sitting with someone serving me tea in a proper tea set. It took me a while to realise that this was it, for every time it was brought and served that way, I would feel like a guest in my own house. Why so proper and why do I get a different flavour and colour that I never ever knew tea had? It would get more complicated when I would be told it is tea from 'the first flush'. 'A very delicate flavour', they would say, and I would just sip on it, in the most dainty manner I could.

Tea for me is an addiction, something that I cannot start my day without. Always an early riser, I would quickly have the first cup made all by myself in my way and it would just energise me and I would be ready for the day. But what never changed was having tea in the verandah, looking out at the tea garden around my bungalow and it would just feel like heaven. The silence was something most welcomed by me, coming from a city. Yet to enjoy this silence I needed my companion, my cup of tea. Getting up early, though normal for me, was a punishment for the watchman in my bungalow who never thought he would have to be on his toes so early in the morning. The moment the bungalow servants were in my tea would transform into a different flavour and colour. No matter how many times I would explain to them to get me tea the way I wanted, they would stick to their elaborate serving of tea throughout the day.

Tea was really different in a city and in a tea garden which I realised once I was there. The entire process from tea leaves being plucked, carried to the factory, the aroma of fresh tea being prepared and then getting to taste the tea fresh is an experience in its own. Never did I imagine I would be enjoying tea sitting amidst all the greens in my verandah watching the rain fall and sipping the 'first flush'.

I think many others might relate to this story and experience.

About the writer:

My name is Mansi Chaturvedi. I am based in Kolkata. I am a published writer and a blogger. I had been part of the tea family for 15 years as my husband was working for Tata Tea. We had a wonderful experience in tea gardens both in Dooars and Assam. 

Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories! Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com. 

My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always) - maybe a tall tale, maybe long, short, impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull. You will find yourself transported to another world! 

This is the link to all the stories on this blog: https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/
Be sure to add it to your list of favourites! Happy reading!! Cheers to the spirit of Indian tea!

1 comment:

  1. ‘Tea for me is an addiction, something that I cannot start my day without. Always an early riser, I would quickly have the first cup made all by myself in my way and it would just energise me and I would be ready for the day‘ Oh how this resonates with me Mansi …Happy to have Gowri share this on the Chai for Cancer pages .
    Viji

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!