Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

The Ghost of Namdang Factory Bungalow

by Larry Brown
 

 When I moved from the Burra Bungalow at Namdang and was sharing with Polly in the Factory Bungalow, he and I would often be asked by the senior planters of the district 'Have you seen the Ghost?'  

Polly and I laughed about this and paid no attention. However, one night, I had just got into bed , ready to go to sleep, when Jimmy Beven drove past en route to the Teela Bungalow where he lived. As was usual for Jim, he sat on the horn as he drove past our bungalow in his big white monster of a Buick or Dodge!   At that time he was courting Jean Filshill, whom he later married. Jean was Matron of Digboi Hospital and was a lovely, lovely person. Anyway, I ruffled up my pillow, looked at my watch, saw it was 1 a.m. and thought Jim has had a long courting session, plonked my head on the pillow-and froze!!!

Starting from my ankles I could feel every hair standing on end. I tried to raise myself but couldn't move. Out of the corner of my eye I saw a luminous figure gliding into the room. I shut my eyes and tried to move but I couldn't. The apparition glided across the floor and while I was praying to Jesus to make him go away- I was absolutely terrified - 'it' leaned on the bedstead end and leaned forward to look at my face. By this time I was talking and asking him to please go away. He looked at me again and then I felt his presence receding- passing through the closed door. I lay there calling myself a wimp, etc. and on the count of three I jumped out of bed and switched on the light. There was nothing, but I left the light on all night.

In the morning, when Polly and I were having breakfast I asked him if he had noticed anything strange about last night – he said yes, “something threw me out of bed, and it took me some time to get to sleep again.”

As I later learnt, 'he'  the ghost, had been a young man who had caught blackwater fever at Namtok and was brought to Namdang. He was put in the same room and  the same bed that Polly was sleeping on, and he died.

The story didn't end there because a couple of years later, when I was the sole occupant of the Factory Bungalow he kept visiting me, sometimes three times a week. I think there was a special affinity between us as I had been told that 'he' had died when he was 23 - I too was 23 when I first moved into the Factory Bungalow.

He started visiting in March and thereafter paid me regular visits. On these occasions my dog would get its hackles up and slink away. I would get an icy feeling on my cheek when I was reading a book or listening to music, and enjoying a roaring fire as was normal in the cold weather but he kept on visiting me and I knew he was there when he brought that coldness.

Eventually I spoke to him and told him that he was a young planter who had been on the Namtok outgarden and when he was sick he was brought to the Factory Bungalow and  had died from blackwater fever in the bed in the next room.

 I walked into the room and showed him the bed and told him if I could help in any way I would do so, but  I also told him that he was scaring me out of my skin and that he should leave me alone. I asked if he was satisfied with my explanation. He never returned.
 I later learned from the servants of many 'happenings' at the bungalow but I was happy that the tormented soul was at last at rest.

Postscript:
Jimmy Beven visited Namdang in November 2006. I phoned him from Australia and I naturally enquired about the ghost,and apparently he's still there!!!! I obviously didn't exorcise him completely and he still continues to send shivers down the spines of young assistants!!

I visited Namdang in December 2014 after an absence of 54 years and I went to the Factory Bungalow which now had a new kitchen and airconditioning- -a complete renovation. I visited the bedroom where the young man had died- -it was very still and quiet and I felt that he was still there.  

Editor's note: Many thanks to Alan Lane for sending us this story and the photograph from Larry Brown in Australia.

Meet the writer:

Larry Brown lives in Southport, Queensland, Australia. His story The Ghost of Namdang Factory Bungalow is a great favourtie with our readers. Here are two pictures of Larry - one from 1960, and the other from 2014 when he revisited Namdang.

At Namdang Factory Bungalow steps, 1960  

 
Larry revisits Namdang, 2014


Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories! 
Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com. 
 
My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always), maybe a tall tale, maybe long, short, impossible, scary, funny or exciting but never dull. You will find yourself transported to another world! 
 
Happy reading! Cheers to the spirit of Indian Tea!

ADD THIS LINK TO YOUR FAVOURITES : 
https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/

25 comments:

  1. Ouch!
    Very brave of Larry Brown. He is certainly no wimp.
    Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting read! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely explained.
    Has anyone account of jafry Johnston who also met unfortunate events in his garden.?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jimmy had the huge Dodge, which he sold when he moved to Kipkebe in Kenya, in May 1983. He was then my Burra Sahib In Bogapani, and I was the Mistri sahib.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh ... At some point I did think the author was going to say.....ha just kidding....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thrilling indeed!
    My first bungalow in tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had some bad experience in Chatlapore Engineers Bungalow in Bangladesh before renovation. I really your story....thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lived in this B'low too but never heard such stories before, the same was reconfirmed by a previous occupant too. Maybe the "Boga" ghost got scared of the "Browns: Mistri sahib and ran away............. The romancing of Jimmy and Jean Bevan made a interesting read.............

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story Alan....quite a Ghost catcher you are....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahahaha..been to that bungalow several times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thoroughly enjoyed this story. Is this spirit still there? We ought to seriously think of laying his soul to rest...somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Had a similar hair raising experience at Halem Tea Estate on the North Bank. Every time I narrate my story i still get goose bumps all over. Faisal Ansari

    ReplyDelete
  13. Had a similar hair raising experience at Halem Tea Estate on the North Bank. Every time I narrate my story i still get goose bumps all over. Faisal Ansari

    ReplyDelete
  14. Larry i have collection of your stories with me as your contribution to The Camellia. I would request Alan to give me permission to share a few from that treasure.
    it was so wonderful to see your contribution here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Shalini. By all means use any of the items I sent to you previously for the
      Camellia. Kind Regards. Larry

      Delete
  15. Manash ChakrabortyApril 7, 2018 at 2:34 PM

    Thoroughly enjoyed the story !! Thanks for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  16. Spinechilling story. Most of the old tea bungalows have sad ghosts living in them.Some people see them, some don't.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really enjoyed the story. Spent many childhood evenings in the kitchen, pestering the bungalow helping hands to narrate ghost stories. This story took me back in time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heard about this incident from Polly uncle. It's really spine chilling n gives goose bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes we too did experience such incidents when my Dad was working in Tea Estate of Assam as a Manager and staying in big bungalow.. I still get goose bumps when I sit back and think about it!!!
    Just loved this Chai story..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I also experienced such incidents when I worked as Kamjari sahab in Negheriting Tea Estate of Dergaon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I visited this Bungalow twice during my 11 years of service at VKV (NEC) Baragolai, Margherita once even to check the rooms allotted to our officer who were to occupy them for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG..Been to this bungalow so many times..yes..My father worked in Namdang from 1992 to 1997 and we used to live in the adjacent bungalow

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!