Read About Indian Chai Stories

Our Writers - in Pictures!

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The Haunted Bungalow of Dumchipara Tea Garden

by S.Mohanakrishnan
 
The year: 1981                                  
I was transferred from Birpara Tea Garden to Dumchipara Tea Garden where my Burra Saab allotted me the ‘modified’ bungalow. I was supposed to share this bungalow with a new trainee who resigned and went away.
Every now and then I was asked by the Office Superintendent whether the bungalow was comfortable or not – he used to be the occupant before me. I was happy, and enjoyed living alone, but then I kept hearing strange noises coming from the false ceiling – as if something heavy had landed there.  These sounds were attributed to the expansion and contraction of the steel trusses.
Being a factory assistant, I had all night duty and I used to sleep for a few hours during the day.
As the cold weather approached, leaf intake went down and the factory was run in the daytime. Now I started sleeping in the bungalow at night. While I slept, I would feel as if some fabric had touched me or slithered over me. It happened every night. I started sleeping with the lights on, but still the thing continued.
One evening, I had invited the Senior Assistant and his family to have tea with me. Tea was laid out in the jalli kamra.  It must have been around 6:30 and we were going to start our evening drinks session.
Just then all of us clearly heard the sound of a child crying in the jhora outside – the bungalow was on a mound with a jhora on either side. We thought that some child from the line must have lost a goat in his care and was afraid to go back home. I sent my cook to investigate. As he went down from the gate, the crying stopped. ‘Koi nahin hai, Saab’, he shouted.
He climbed back up the slope and the crying started again. I sent him back once again. By this time all of us had come out to the bungalow boundary fencing. This time he called another bungalow servant to go with him and they both replied there was no one there.  When the crying started off for the third time the cook told me the sound was the noise made by a ‘pret’ – a ghost. I simply shooed him away.
After this, I realized that on the day of the regular chowkidar’s weekly off, no substitute ever wanted to come to my bungalow. Whoever dared to come complained the next morning that he had been jostled by somebody and his bedding had been yanked out from under him.
All the bungalows had two night chowkidars. One of my two was a ‘bowun’ (Nepali Brahmin) and the other was a practicing Buddhist  Lama who did ‘Lama-giri’ during the day.  These two were the only ones who would come to work on a regular basis.
In the month of December, the service engineer of the company arrived to stay with me while he overhauled the engines. As was the practice, we had a number of drinks before going to sleep in our respective bedrooms. At around one o’clock in the morning, he knocked on my door and told me there was something strange going on.
He had heard the sound of a water tap dripping into a bucket and woken up. He shifted the bucket from under the tap and went back to sleep, but in ten minutes the sound woke him up again. When this happened another couple of times, he decided to wake me. I went along with him to see for myself.  And I did – it happened again. After he switched off the light in the bathroom, things were quiet.
The service engineer went off on his rounds to other gardens and then back home to Siliguri. When he returned, he brought his eight year old son to stay. The boy wanted to ride his new bicycle in the wide open spaces of a tea garden.  
We returned to the bungalow from the factory that evening to find the boy sitting in the drawing room, looking frightened. This is what he told us.  He was playing in the guest room after he had finished cycling. He saw a man walking across the room from one corner to the other, and then disappearing into a cupboard! The man was dressed in khaki shorts and shirt and wore a sola topi on his head. After this, the boy didn’t stay alone in the bungalow, but kept close to his father.
The next incident also took place during the engineer’s stay. This time he had come without his son. We were eating our dinner when a very large cat entered the room. It came from the garage, but the door leading to the garage was closed. Even today, when I narrate this, my hair stands on end. It looked at me with huge eyes.  I picked up a knife from the table and raised my hand to throw it, but my guest caught hold of my hand, and said, ‘Na, Mohan! Eita onno jinish!’ (This is no cat! ) The cat – or whatever it was - left the room the way it had come in.
I shouted out to my chowkidars, but they stayed away.  Later they told me, ‘Yo toh ho, Sir, yo daily aunccha’ (This is the spirit that comes every day and troubles us).
I had not mentioned any of these incidents to anyone else at the time, because I was not scared.
A few months later: The chowkidar woke me up at four o’clock one morning – without a cup of tea. He said the kettle was missing. The previous night, I had placed the kettle on top of the ‘Bajaj’ heater/oven myself. I had gone into the kitchen after dinner. Burra Memsaab had sent a bowl of pudding, and after I had eaten, I wanted to make sure the chowkidars didn’t help themselves and finish the rest of it. After telling them to put the bowl in the fridge, I saw the kettle on a shelf, and placed it on the heater.
I blasted the chowkidar and asked him if he’d taken the kettle outside – for some other purpose.  He swore that he had not touched it. How could he, it wasn’t there at all! We looked for it everywhere – then, from the kitchen window, we saw it – it was in the middle of the lawn. The chowkidar brought it inside: it was covered in dew.
This was also forgotten after a few days.
The noises that came from the ceiling continued.
The new season started, and my night duties with it. One night, I came back early from the factory. Manufacture finished around one o’clock, so at two thirty or so, I was at the bungalow gate on my motorcycle.
I saw a wizened old man standing there. He was dressed in Khaki shorts, khaki shirt and a sola topi. I lost my cool and shouted at him, and asked him what he was doing there at that time of the night. He replied that he was just roaming around. Meanwhile I shouted for the chowkidars, who were looking out of the window – I could see their faces, but they wouldn’t come out.
There was a labour line behind the bungalow, on the other side of the jhora. People started shouting from there, asking me not to talk but to go inside at once. I told the old guy to get out anyway. He told me he was going, and he walked down the slope to the culvert. From there he vanished.
By this time both the chowkidars came out and when I scolded them, they said that this was the ghost which came every night, and walked through closed doors and windows – even in the form of a cat!
They both said they used to pray all night to keep it away.
The next morning, Nakul Singh baidaar who lived behind the bungalow and Rarh Singh, a football player, came and told me that I had been talking to the ghost of Man Bahadur Tamang. He used to be the head sardar of the garden. He had died in the 1960s. 
The bungalow, it seems, had been built on a Tamang (Buddhist) burial /cremation ground. The workers had repeatedly asked the then Burra Saab not to build a bungalow at that site. It was built anyway.
I continued to live in that bungalow till 1984, when I was transferred – back to Birpara Tea Garden once again. 
 Editor's note:
Jhora – a small rivulet
Baidaar – one who keeps the workers’ attendance records
Head Sardar : Head Supervisor   


Meet the writer:  
Mohan's first love is tea. He enjoys reading books on history and philosophy, tinkering with cars and machinery, driving and - when the mood takes him - tossing up a great Chinese meal for friends and family.
t
Is this your first visit here? Welcome to Indian Chai Stories!

Do you have a chai story of your own to share? Send it to me here, please : indianchaistories@gmail.com.
 
My name is Gowri Mohanakrishnan and I'm a tea planter's wife. Yes, the story that you've just read is by my husband, S.Mohanakrishnan! I started this blog because one of the things that I wouldn't want us to lose in a fast changing world is the tea story - a story always told with great seriousness, no matter how funny - always true (always), maybe a tall tale, maybe long or short or just impossible, maybe scary, funny or exciting but never dull. Happy reading! Cheers to the spirit of Indian Tea! 

This is the link to our homepage : https://teastorytellers.blogspot.com/Indian Chai Stories 
There are over a hundred stories here, and they are all from the tea gardens! Our storytellers are tea planters and their memsaabs, baby and baba log. Each of our contributors has a really good story to tell - don't lose any time before you start reading them! 

38 comments:

  1. Wow, hair raising experiences. I like the way the writer's voice is indifferent to all the happenings he hears about, till he actually sees the predh. And the picture of that cat...Really looks like a cat that is a ghost. Terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dhiraj Kumar BarmanApril 18, 2018 at 11:12 AM

    A fantastic ghost story indeed....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gave me goosebumps..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful narration n can very well visualise ( having undergone a similar kinda experience as a Trainee in Margaret's Hope Tea Estate in Ghoom ) in 1996 ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A hair-raising experience, very well narrated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This must be true. It happened with me and my wife at Boroi Tea Estate, Noth Bank, Assam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too scary Mohan. And you continued living in that bungalow for quite some time...brave of you!
    I'm glad we're reading all these stories after having come away from tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very well written. Spooky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spooky! Trust Mohan to be so matter of fact😊loved reading it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy cow! You deserve a medal for your courage!
    Would the ex Margaret's Hope trainee share his hair raising experience with us?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ghostly.I thought ghosts were tales of my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - what an experience! I wonder if that bungalow still stands, and if the ghost still haunts it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mohan , you write like you speak - direct and honest , no frills . All the more reason that what you writes leaves the reader gasping - and for more.
    All the while my hair was on end . I am not a believer but how can one be a disbeliever in the face of such experiences ...

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW 😮 And WOW again!! Absolutely loved the story. I could visualise every bit of it - the Mohan we know and love shines through in the narration! And such arrogance by the burra sahib!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved this story as it is most convincing, without any dramatic embellishments. I’m a great believer in spirits and am sure they’re harmless. That you went through so many incidents, is amazing. Very few people are psychic enough to do so. I also enjoyed the short crisp sentences and easy flow of thoughts. Oz and hope there will be many more such pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could see the haunted bungalow and sense the errie feeling as if i had entered the bungalow myself. It gives one creeps , wanted a tag at the end ... to be continued .... a very well told tale... Mohan sir feed us more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderfully written, Mohan.I can picture the Dumchipara bungalow you are referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ghost stories are in the realm of disbelief. It seems that ghosts are inconvenient but not frightful or harmful. The line between incovenience and fright is really personal courage. Mohan, amazing fearlessness. Hats of

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ghost stories are in the realm of disbelief. It seems that ghosts are inconvenient but not frightful or harmful. The line between incovenience and fright is really personal courage. Mohan, amazing fearlessness. Hats of

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great story. Never ever encountered any ghosts during my time in Tea. But heard many......

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mohan, I loved the part about your conversation with the ghost and scolding him in Burrasab style

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic,thrilling,very convincing

    ReplyDelete
  23. I beieve.Wellwritten experience.Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Old planters never die, they only fade away !!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Loved reading your story uncle. Very well written! As a child I always parked myself in the kitchen during dinner prep, and insisted everyone told me ghost stories yet never saw one growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely! Loved the story

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such an interesting story, Mohan! I salute your courage. My father had a few uncanny experiences but didn't tell us much about them. He did mention one about the apparition of a tribal woman turning into a cat and then disappearing. Cats seem to have some natural connection with the uncanny, witches etc.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohh really??? Now I gotta know I knew Rarh Singh he was my alike grandpa,football player.....

    ReplyDelete
  29. A spooky and well written story indeed, being a daughter of a planter and hearing similar stories from my father in his early years at Nagrifarm T.E, Darjeeling where he saw the spirit of a young, British lady standing a few paces away from him to how he and his friend saw a cloaked figure swooping right in front of their eyes along with the curtains being drawn apart own their to the opening of water taps in the bathroom at night, I could imagine and co-relate with every bit of the story. Few years ago, when my father was posted in Bagrakote T.E, I had experienced such eerieneness in the children's room of Bara kothi, not to mention the loud footsteps on the creaky wooden stairs at late night. Although I love to live in a tea garden's atmosphere I have experienced all this and knowing tea gardens from birth till now I do believe that there is something lurking in the shadows in places engulfed with darkness that is bound to give even the bravest the creeps and a shiver down the spine of anyone reading the tales....

    ReplyDelete
  30. Every estate had some or the other story, My Dad used to tell us about them, he was in this estate also, and in Leesh river. the golden age of Teas.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Did you live in MS Flats RK Puram New Delhi If so you know me.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Bahu,
    Hi. This is the same Mohan who resided in 'P' block M.S. flats .
    I presume you are the the same Bahu who resided in 'N' block.
    Where are you these days.
    Let us reunite. My mail is nahomahsirk@gmail.com
    Best Wishes

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have relatives working in tea gardens and at least one of them has experienced such encounters.I was told that these keeps on happening particularly in the old tea gardens originally built and used by the Britishers.Indeed spine chilling experience.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this Indian Chai Story, do take a minute to leave a little note for the author of the piece! Thank you! Please remember that your comment does not disappear once you've entered it; it goes to the blog administrator for verification - and that's a most important security measure. It should appear after one hour at the earliest!